SECRET Copy No 5
R.A.M.C. Operation Order No 37.
Colonel H. ENSOR, D.S.O., Commanding R.A.M.C., 3rd Division.
11th November 1916
Reference Map Sheet 57 D.
- The 3rd Division will attack the enemy on ‘Z’ Day at Zero hour on a front from JOHN COPSE (exclusive) to K.35.a.4.9. the attack will be made with 8th Inf Bde on the right, and 76th Inf Bde on the left. The 9th Inf Bde will be in reserve.
- (a) O.C. No7 Fd. Ambulance will send two bearer sub-divisions to OBSERVATION WOOD. These bearer sub-divisions to be in position by 4 a.m. ‘Z’ Day.
(b). O.C. No. 8 Fd Ambulance will send two bearer sub-divisions to FLAG AVENUE. These bearer sub-divisions to be in position by 4 am. ‘Z’ Day.
(c). Accommodation for the bearer sub-divisions of Nos. 7 & 8 Fd Ambulances has been reserved by G.Os.C. 8th and 76th Inf Bdes.
(d). Os.C. these bearer sub-divisions will detail men to work the trolley lines to EUSTON DUMP and collect wounded from the Regimental Aid Posts.
(e). O.C. bearer sub-divisions No. 7 Fd Ambulance will be responsible for the collection of the wounded from 76th Inf Bde area, and O.C. bearer sub-divisions No. 8 Fd Ambulance for the same duties in the 8th Inf Bde area.
(f). O.C. No. 8 Fd Ambulance will send his remaining bearer sub-division to the Advanced Dressing Station at EUSTON by 4 am ‘Z’ Day.
(g). O.C. No 7 Fd Ambulance will send his remaining bearer sub-division to the Advanced Dressing Station at COLINCAMPS by 4 am ‘Z’ Day.
(h). O.C. No. 142 Fd Ambulance will sent one bearer sub-division to Advanced Dressing Station at COLINCAMPS by 8 am ‘Z’ Day.
(i). No 5A Sanitary Section will be at Advanced Dressing Station at COLINCAMPS by 4 am ‘Z’ Day.
½ hour before Zero hour this section will march to Advanced DRESSING STATION at EUSTON, and on arrival there O.C. Sanitary Section will detail 10 men to proceed to OBSERVATION WOOD and 10 men to FLAG AVENUE to reinforce the men employed in bringing wounded down trolley lines.
(j). O.C. No 7 Fd Ambulance will detail one officer two N.C.Os. and five men from one of his Tent sub-divisions to take over charge of the Advanced Dressing Station at EUSTON: this Dressing Station to be taken over by 6 pm. ‘Y’ Day.
(k). O.C. Advanced Dressing Station EUSTON will detail one Private R.A.M.C. with surgical haversack, to proceed to 3rd Division Advanced H.Q. at Zero hour for duty there.
(l). R.A.M.C. personnel not mentioned above will remain in present positions.
- 3rd Divisional Band will report to O.C. Advanced Dressing Station COLINCAMPS for duty as Stretcher Bearers by 7-30 am. ‘Z’ Day.
- The walking wounded collecting post at J.29.c.8.2. will be manned by a tent sub-division from No. 8 Fd Ambulance: shelters to be erected and all arrangements complete by 9 pm. ‘Y’ Day.
- R.A.M.C. units may make use of the shelters at walking wounded collecting post on night of Y/Z days if convenient for them to do so.
- From 6-30 pm. on ‘Y’ Day until 4 am. on ‘Z’ Day no down traffic will be allowed in any communication trench; all down traffic must be over the open.
From 4 am. on ‘Z’ Day the trenches may be used as follows:-
UP – (i) RAILWAY AVENUE to junction with SACKVILLE ST. – SACKVILLE ST. – SOUTHERN AVENUE to front line.
(ii) NORTHERN AVENUE throughout.
DOWN (i) BLENEAU to junction with SACKVILLE ST. – SACKVILLE ST – SOUTHERN AVENUE.
(ii) CENTRAL AVENUE throughout.
Walking wounded from OBSERVATION WOOD will be directed down CENTRAL AVENUE to walking wounded collecting post; those from FLAG AV. down SACKVILLE ST. – SOUTHERN AVENUE to walking wounded collecting post.
O.C. No. 8 Fd Amb. will be responsible that these DOWN C.T.’s are “Flagged” for walking wounded; work to be completed by 6 pm. ‘Y’ Day.
- No maps other than those showing German trenches will be carried by officers and other ranks into the trenches.
- The motor Amb Cars of the 3rd Division Fd. Ambs. With the exception of one car of each Fd. Amb. will be formed into a convoy at FORCEVILLE and will come under the orders of an officer to be detailed by O.C. No. 8 Fd. Amb. This officer will arrange details with regard to rationing and reliefs of drivers etc.
Divisional Motor Amb. Cars to report to O.C. No. 8 Fd. Amb. At FORCEVILLE by 6 pm. ‘Y’ Day.
3 Ford cars will be detailed for duty at the Advanced Dressing Station COLINCAMPS and as far as may be possible 2 large cars will always be available at this place for the evacuation of wounded to the Main Dressing Station formed by No. 8 Fd. Amb. At FORCEVILLE.
The officer detailed by O.C. No. 8 Fd. Amb. Will also arrange to form a “Cab rank” of 7 large motor Amb. cars on the line of evacuation between BERTRANCOURT and FORCEVILLE at P.9.c.3.6.
If the weather and country is dry this cab rank should be formed on the BERTRANCOURT – COURCELLES Road at about J.34.a.7.2. As a loaded car passes the cab rank the leading car in the rank will proceed to the Advanced Dressing Station COLINCAMPS for instructions.
Empty cars returning from FORCEVILLE will return to the cab rank by the same road. This cab rank is to be formed by 6 am. ‘Z’ Day.
- The horsed ambulance wagons of No. 8 Field Ambulance will be at Walking Wounded Collecting Post by 6 am Z day. Those of No. 7 and 142 Field Ambulance will be parked ready for immediate use off the COURCELLES – BERTRANCOURT Road at some place to be chosen by O.C. 142 Field Ambulance by 6 am Z day.
Officers Commanding concerned will arrange for spare teams for their own ambulance wagons.
- Lightly wounded cases from Walking Wounded Collecting Post will be evacuated to a Casualty Clearing Station at WARLINCOURT by means of 6 motor busses. These motor busses will report to O.C. 142 Field Ambulance at BUS-LES-ARTIOS at 4 p.m. Y day.
- Arms and equipment of wounded men will be stacked in separate piles near the Advanced Dressing Station and the Walking Wounded Collecting Post, i.e. rifles in one pile, steel helmets in another &c. D.A.D.O.S. will be informed when a G.S. Wagon load has been collected.
- The O.C. No. 8 Field Ambulance will arrange that all walking cases evacuated from the Collecting Station, who do not require redressing will have “O” put on the right hand bottom corner of the envelope of the Field Medical Card.
- In the event of an O.C. Field Ambulance running short of stretchers and blankets he will send an indent for the required number by any motor ambulance taking wounded to a Clearing Station, and the number required will be dispatched by means of the returning ambulance wagon.
- No ‘particulars’ of wounded will be taken at the Advanced Dressing Stations except in the case of officers and other ranks who die at these places or who are sent to the Special Hospital at AUTHIE.
The particulars of such cases will be taken at the Advanced Dressing Station and forwarded to O.C. No. 8 Field Ambulance at FORCEVILLE.
- Only cases of abdominal wounded likely to be benefited by operations will be sent to the Special Hospital at AUTHIE.
- A.D.M.S. will be at EUSTON Advanced Dressing Station at Zero hour. D.A.D.M.S. at Headquarters 3rd Division.
- Os.C. Bearer Subdivisions No. 7 and 8 Field Ambulances are responsible that all empty lorries TROLLIES are run up to OBSERVATION WOOD and SACKVILLE STREET Trench by 4 a.m. Z day. Half of the available lorries TROLLIES are to be at each of the above named places.
A.D.M.S. 3rd Division.
Copies to :-
- D.D.M.S. V Corps
- 3rd Div. ”G”
- 3rd Div. “Q”
- 7th Fd. Ambce.
- 8th Fd. Ambce.
- 142 Fd. Ambce.
- 8th Inf Bde.
- 9th Inf Bde.
- 76th Inf Bde.
- 5a San. Section.
- War Diary.
- “ “