WAR DIARY of AA Laporte Payne 23 May 1917
Brigade Diary, Personal Diary, Operation Orders, Note Books, Memoranda
May 23, 1917.
The Artillery of the 3rd Australian Division consists of
- GROUP, 18 pdrs. 5 Batteries 30 guns.
- GROUP. 18 pdrs. 6 Batteries 36 guns.
- GROUP 18 pdrs . 6 Batteries 36 guns.
- GROUP 4.5, Hows. 6 Batteries 24 Hows.
- GROUP 1. 4.5 How
- 18 pdr. 4 Batteries 24 guns and Hows.
Heavy Trench Mortars (9.45”) 9.
6” Gun 500 rounds per gun to be dumped.
9.2” & 8” 800 do.
6” How. 1000
60 pdrs 1000
18 pdrs. 1300
4.5” How 1100
H.T.M. (9.45”) 130
The 3rd Australian Divisional Artillery Groups.
Groups. Commanding. Composed of.
- Lt. Col. H.D.K. Macartney 7th A.F.A. Brigade.
38th R.F.A. Bde. (Army).
- Lt. Col. W.G. Allsop. 8th A.F.A. Bde.
3rd A.F.A. Bde
- Lt. Col. W. Furnival 175th Bde R.F.A. (Army).
12th A.F.A. Bde (Army).
- Lt. Col. H.L. Cohen, D.S.O. 6th A.F.A. Bde. (Army).
- Lt. Col. W.H.L. Burgess, D.S.O. Howitzers.
- T.29.d.85.50. G.K.64.
- T.22.b.2.1. G.C.39.
- T.16.b.99.31. G.C.38.
- C.1.b.7.6. G.L.54.
- B.12.central. Defensive Brigade G.K.6.
The I Group Exchange at T.17.d.15.50. E.S.
The Group of Group Exchange at Petite Munque
Farm, T.23.d.75.85. D.A.
The Observation Exchange
Posts U.13.d.25.15. L.H.
May 23, 1917.
A letter from home dated the 17th arrived before one of the 14th. Our post is very disorganised. There was no mail for four days, and then we had 41 bags for the Brigade, and I know some more are missing.
It has been wet again the last two days, but it is fine today and very hot. I spend my time constructing Dug-outs, and burying cable.
There is going to be some difficulty in watering horses here soon in spite of the rain recently. Rations have been cut down slightly, but there is still enough to eat. I hope food problems at home are not worse.
The Colonel has come back, and is in quite a good temper.