Copy No 14
55th (West Lancs:) Divisional Artillery
Order No 7
29th February 1916
Ref: 1/20,000 sheet 51c S.E. and 1/100,000 sheet 11. LENS
- The 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde is to be relieved in the 55th Divisional Artillery by the 14th Bde R.F.A., 68th & 88th Batteries R.F.A. (each of 6 – 18 pr guns) from the 4th Division.
- The 68th and 88th Batteries will take over the positions at present occupied by the 12th, 13th and 14th Lancs Batteries and will be under the tactical control of Lt. Col J.P. Reynolds, Comdg Left Group, but will continue to be administered by C.C. 14th Brigade R.F.A.
The 13th Lancs Battery will replace the 1st Staffs Battery and remain in the Left Group.
The 12th Lancs Battery will replace the 2nd Staffs Battery under tactical control of Lt. Col L.J. Osborn, Comdg Right Group.
The 14th Lancs Battery will replace the 3rd Staffs Battery under tactical control of Lt. Col. T.E. Topping D.S.O. Comdg Left Centre Group.
C.C. 3rd West Lancs F.A. Bde will continue to administer 12th and 14th Lancs Batteries.
- To effect the above the following moves will be carried out by sections on the nights 1st/2nd & 2nd/3rd March, to commence at 7.30 p.m. each night.
Night 1st/2nd March
(a) Right section 88th Battery will relieve Right Section 13th Lancs battery at R.10.a.2.7.
Right section 68th Battery will relieve Left Section 14th Lancs Battery at R.10.a.4.8.
Centre Section 68th Battery will relieve Right Section 12th Lancs Battery at R.10.a.6.9.
(b) Sections thus relieved will then relieve corresponding sections of 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde.
13th Lancs Bty – 1st Staffs Bty at R.9.c.2.9.
14th “ “ 3rd “ “ at R14.b.8.9.
12th “ “ 2nd “ “ at Q.24.a.9 ½ 2 ½.
(c) Sections of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Staffs Batteries will on relief move to wagon lines.
Night 2nd/3rd March
(a) Centre Section 88th Battery will relieve Left Section 13th Lancs Battery.
Left Section 88th Battery will relieve Right Section 14th Lancs Battery.
Left Section 68th Battery will relieve Left Section 12th Lancs Battery.
(b) sections thus relieved will then relieve corresponding sections of 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde.
13th Lancs Battery – 1st Staffs Bty at R9c.2.9
14th Lancs Battery – 3rd Staffs Bty at R14b8.9.
12th Lancs Battery – 2nd Staffs Bty at Q24a.9 ½ .2 ½.
(c) Sections of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Staffs Batteries will on relief move to the wagon lines.
No movement of vehicles will take place E. of BEAUMETZ before 5.45 p.m. on each night.
No section will move from its present position until arrival of relieving section.
- H.Q.14th Brigade R.F.A. is to move to billets at BEAUMETZ arriving 12 noon March 1st O.C. 14th Brigade R.F.A. will take over from 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde by direct arrangement with the later.
- O’s C. relieving batteries will not take over command at their new positions until the relief has been completed.
- Wagon lines for 68th and 88th Batteries will be at SAULTY.
- On March 1st the 14th Brigade Ammunition Column is to move to SAULTY and section 4th Divisional Ammunition Column to GRINCOURT where it will be attached to 55th Divisional Ammunition Column.
- Instructions regarding supply of ammunition and moves of units of 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde will be issued later.
55th Divisional Arty.
Issued at 8.30 p.m.
Copy no 1. Right Group Comdr. 1st W.L. F.A. Bde.
- Centre Group Comdr 2nd W.L. F.A. Bde.
- Left Group Comdr 3rd W.L. F.A. Bde.
- 4th W.L. F.A. Bde.
- 2nd North Midland F.A. Bde.
- 4th North Midland F.A. Bde.
- 55th Div. Amm. Col.
- 55th Div (G)
- 4th Div Arty
- 14th Brigade R.F.A.
- War Diary.
- Staff Capt.
- 7th Corps Arty.