SECRET. Copy No 1
22nd September, 1917.
20TH (LIGHT) DIVISION ORDER NO. 211.
Reference Maps: BROEMBEEK 1/10,000 (Edition 2), and
LANGEMARCK 1/10,000 (Edition 2).
1. The minor operation ordered yesterday in Order No. 209 in conjunction with Tanks did not take place owing to the non-arrival of the Tanks.
2. The situation as regards our most advanced troops has not altered, and a detachment of the enemy are still in EAGLE Trench between U.23.b.70.10. and U.23.b.47.43.
3. The Tanks detailed for the attack are now in LANGEMARCK at U.23.c.15.25., and, unless these are disabled during the day by enemy shell fire, the attack will take place, under orders of B.G.C. 59th Inf. Bde. as ordered in Order No. 209 of yesterday except where otherwise stated.
ZERO hour will be 5.30 a.m., and at this hour the Tanks will arrive at the point where EAGLE Trench crosses the SCHREIBOOM – GOED TER VESTEN Road and SCHREIBOOM – RED HOUSE Road.
4. Should the Tanks not be able to operate tomorrow, a bombing attack will be made against EAGLE Trench from the South from about U.23.b.85.00. at 7.0 a.m., and an endeavour made to capture the enemy’s portion of EAGLE Trench in this manner.
The attack will be preceded at 6.57 a.m. by a hurricane bombardment by Stokes Mortars from the direction of a trench about U.23.d.17.98. Arrangements for this have already been made.
5. The B.G.C. 60th Inf. Bde. will place a detachment of not less than 50 at the disposal of B.G.C. 59th Inf. Bde.
6. The Artillery Programme will be similar for either of the above operations, and will be as follows:- Bursts of fire will be directed at intervals on KANGAROO Trench between U.24. central and U.17.d.85.00.
This bombardment will commence this evening at an hour to be notified later, and will continue till 7.30 a.m. tomorrow unless EAGLE Trench has been captured by the action of the Tanks prior to this hour. A smoke barrage will also be placed on a line just South of KANGAROO Trench between U.24.a.77.25. and U.23.b.83.90. at 7 a.m. in the event of failure by theTanks.
7. The B.G.C. 59th Inf. Bde. will detail an officer and 2 other ranks to be at the Road junc. U.23.c.65.69. from 4 a.m. onwards, in order to be in a position to notify the attacking troops prior to 5.30 a.m. whether the Tanks detailed for the attack are likely to arrive.
8. Watches will be synchronized by a Staff Officer of Div. H.Q. at STRAY FARM at 6.30 p.m. to-night.
The Officer Comdg. Tanks, now in LANGEMARCK, will synchronize his watch with that of O.C. 10th R.B. at Bn. H.Q. at U.23.c.70.75.
General Staff, 20th Division.
Issued to Signals at 4.50 p.m.
Copies to :-
No. 1. A.D.C. for G.O.C. 13. A.P.M.
2. G.S. 14. D.M.G.O.
3. A.A. & Q.M.G. 15. XIV Corps.
4. Div. R.A. 16. XIV Corps R.A.
5. Div. R.E. 17. XIV Corps H.A.
6. Div. Signals. 18. Guards Div.
7. 59th Inf. Bde. 19. 4th Div.
8. 60th Inf. Bde. 20. 29th Div.
9. 61st Inf. Bde. 21. 51st Div.
10. Div. Pioneers. 22. Right Bombardment Group.
11. Div. M.G. Coy. 23. No. 9 Sqdn. R.F.C.
12. A.D.M.S. 24. 1st Bde. Tanks.
25. War Diary.