Copy No …..
4th September 1916
20th DIVISION OPERATION ORDER NO 98.
1. H.Qrs and two Battalions of the 49th Inf. Bde will relieve the 59th Inf. Bde and attached units tonight.
2. Arrangements for this relief will be made between Brigade Commanders.
Officers of these two battalions will make themselves acquainted with the trenches beforehand.
The 59th Inf. Bde will collect and hand over all trench stores, maps and dumps to the incoming units.
3. On relief being effected the 59th Infantry Bde will concentrate at CARNOY.
The H.Qrs of 59th Bde will be in camp near CARNOY.
The H.Qrs of 49th Bde will be at BRIQUETERIE.
On relief units of the 61st Bde attached to the 59th Bde will move to CRATERS. On arrival there the latter units will come under the command of the Brigadier General 59th Bde.
4. The Field Company and Pioneers attached to the 59th Bde will not be relieved until the morning of the 5th September. They will then be relieved, under orders of the C.R.E. the Field Company returning to its Bde. Group, the Pioneer Coy returning to its Battalion.
5. Medical Units attached to the 59th Bde will not be relieved at present.
6. The 49th Bde. on taking over will detail a permanent garrison for GUILLEMONT South but inclusive of MOUNT STREET, which is a defensive locality and should be strongly held.
O.C. 96th Field Coy will advise and assist. Arrangements made and garrison detailed should be reported as soon as completed.
7. In view of the complexity of the situation G.O.C. 59th Bde will issue strict orders that no troops are to leave their posts until relieved by troops of 49th Bde.
8. Completion of relief will be notified by wiring the word “FLARES” and time to this H.Qrs.
9. Until relief is completed command of the Right Bde. Sector will be vested in G.O.C. 59th Brigade.
(sd) C.A.MILWARD, Major for
General Staff, 20th Division.
Issued at 4 p.m.
No. 1. XIV Corps (G),
2. XIV Corps (Q),
3. 5th Division.
4. 7th Division.
5. 16th Division.
6. 47th Brigade.
7. 48th Brigade.
8. 59th Brigade.
9. 60th Brigade.
10. 61st Brigade.
11. C.R.A. 24th Divn.
12. C.R.A. 6th Divn.
16. 11th Durham L.I.
17. Adv. “Q”.
18. A.A. & Q.M.G.
19. XIV Corps H.A.
20. 9th Squadron R.F.C.
25. Signal Coy.
26. 49th Brigade.