SECRET. Copy No. 21.
12th Divisional Artillery Order No. 52.
Ref. – MONCHY Trench Map,
14th July, 1917.
In continuance of Preliminary Instructions (R.A. 213/3) issued to-day –
1. The attack on LONG TRENCH will take place on the morning of July 15th. ZERO HOUR will be 5 a.m.
2. Artillery and Trench Mortar Barrages will be as laid down in R.A. 213/3, with the exception of the following amendments –
(a) In Task Table, Sheet 3 (Stokes’ Mortars), Column “Task Zero plus 3 minutes onwards”. Line 2,
For “No change”, substitute “O.2.b.5.0. to O.2.d.8.8.”
(b) In Task Table, Sheet 1, 18 pr batteries 48th Brigade,
Tasks of the third 18 pr battery should read –
“Zero to Zero plus 3 mins.”
“MOUND (O.2.d.95.55.) to O.2.d.8.9. (3 guns)
Trench O.2.d.70.52. to O.3.c.00.44. (3 guns)
“Zero plus 3mins onwards –
“MOUND (O.2.d.95.55.) to O.2.d.8.9.
3. A General Staff Officer from Divisional Headquarters will be at H.Q. 37th Infantry Brigade (N.10.d.5.7.) at 6 p.m. on July 14th to synchronise watches.
An officer from each R.F.A. Brigade and Trench Mortar Battery of the 12th D.A. will attend at that hour to take the time.
Watches will be synchronised from 12th D.A., H.Q. with VII and XVII Corps H.A., and with 4th and 50th D.A. at 7.30 p.m. and 11 p.m. July 14th.
4. Liaison Officers with Infantry Brigades will be provided as follows –
(a) With Right (37th) Inf. Bde. Right Group Arty.
(b) With Left (35th)Inf. Bde. Left Group Arty.
5. A flight of our Battle planes will fly over our lines prior to the operation to prevent hostile aeroplanes carrying out observation.
6. RED flares will be lit in the most forward positions captured at 6 a.m. on ZERO Day, at which hour a contact patrol will be in the air.
7. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE.
C.A. Clowes, Major,
Brigade Major, 12th D.A.
Copies to –
62nd Bde. R.F.A. (5)
63rd Bde. R.F.A. (5)
48th Bde R.F.A. (5)
D.T.M.O. R.A., XVII Corps.
12th Divn. (G) (4) H.A., VII Corps.
4th D.A. (2) H.A., XVII Corps.
50th D.A. (2) War Diary & File.
23rd A.A.A. Bde.
Please acknowledge to this H.Q. by wire.
C.C.S. Owen Major R.A.
B.M. 4th D.A.