95th Brigade R.F.A. Stamp 31/1/17.
21st DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY
ARRANGEMENTS FOR SUPPORTING THE BELGIANS.
INSTRUCTIONS NUMBER 1.
Reference Sheet HAZEBROUCK 1/100,000
- (a) In the case of a hostile attack in a Westerly direction the 62nd Inf. Bde. will occupy the Reserve Line from ELVERDINGHE (exclusive) to the PYPEGAALE – EYKJOEK Road (exclusive), the 110th Inf. Bde. thence to where the defence Line meets the inundations near Fm. 1000 yards North of the first O in OOSTVLETEREN.Should this alteration take place, 62nd Inf. Bde. will extend Northwards to OOSTVLETEREN (exclusive).
- (b) Should the hostile attack be developed in a Southerly direction, from POLLINGHOVE and ELSENDAMME, 110th Inf. Bde. must be prepared to form a defensive flank from OOSTVLETEREN (inclusive) to about road junction 400 yards North of O in CROMBEKE.
- 64th Inf. Bde. and 126th Field Coy. R.E. will move to PROVEN in Divisional Reserve.
- In the case of the hostile attack mentioned in para 1 (a) taking place, the 21st Div. Art. will be disposed as follows:-Reference Map 1/20,000 Sheets 20 S.W.) 19 S.E. ) Batteries will occupy the following positions:-A/95 (18 Pdrs) A.17.a.8.7.C/95 (18 Pdrs) A.4.d.8.4.Brigade H.Q. with 62nd Inf. Bde. at A.16.c.1.3.94th Brigade R.F.A. (Major Synott) will support the 110th Infantry Brigade. D/94 (4.5 Hows) S.26.c.3.6. (S.26.a.1.5. – (2 guns)
- Bde. H.Q. – with 110th Inf. Bde. at CONVENT ST SIXTE, moving forward later to EYKHOEK, if more convenient to Brigadier.
- C/94 (18 Pdrs) S.20.c.15.15
- B/94 (18 Pdrs) (S.26.a.0.6. – (4 guns)
- A/94 (18 Pdrs) S.28.c.9.2.
- B/95 (18 Pdrs) A.11.c.5.0.
- D/95 (4.5 Hows) A.17.b.5.4.
- 95th Brigade R.F.A. (Lieut Col. FITZGERALD, D.S.O.) will support the 62nd Inf. Bde.
- 27 N.E. )
- 28 N.W.)
- In case of the hostile attack mentioned in Para 1 (b) taking place, the 21st Divisional Artillery will be disposed as follows:-95th Brigade R.F.A. (Lieut Col. FITZGERALD, D.S.O.) will support the 62nd Inf. Bde. C/95 (18 Pdrs) A.4.d.8.4.D/95 (4.5 Hows) S.26.C.35.60. – S.26.c.20.60.Brigade H.Q. with 62nd Inf. Bde. at CONVENT ST SIXTE.94th Brigade R.F.A. (Major Synott) will support the 110th Inf. Bde.B/94 (18 Pdrs) S.26.c.6.7. D/94 (4.5 Hows) X.28.d.2.4.Bde. H.Q. with 110th Inf. Bde. at CONVENT ST SIXTE, moving forward later to EYKHOEK, if more convenient to Brigadier.
- C/94 (18 Pdrs) X.29.a.5.4.
- A/94 (18 Pdrs) S.26.b.2.9.
- B/95 (18 Pdrs) S.28.c.9.2.
- A/95 (18 Pdrs) A.17.a.8.7.
- Position of Div. Amm. Column, Signalling, Medical and other Administrative details will be issued later.
- Div. Artillery H.Q. will be established at PROVEN.
- Alternative Positions will be reconnoitred. These alternative positions should be at least 1000 yards in rear of the positions mentioned in paras 3 and 4. In case of necessity, these alternative positions will be occupied instead of the positions mentioned in paras 3 and 4.
- List of Observation Posts, and of alternative positions, also proposed zones of fire of Batteries, to be forwarded to this Office as soon as possible.
- Wagon Lines should be arranged for, and positions forwarded to this Office.
- The Div. Art. will be held in readiness to move at six hours’ notice.
- Acknowledge.J.M. Sinclair Major R.A.31/1/17.Distribution:- 95th do 5 “ 21st Div “Q” 1 “21st A.A.C. 4 “ War Diary 2 “
- 21st Div. “G” 1 “
- Trench Mortars 5 “ File 1 “
- 94th F.A. Bde. 5 Copies VIII Corps R.A. 1 Copy
- Brigade Major, 21st Divisional Artillery.