Secret COPY NO.
9TH CANADIAN ARTILLERY BRIGADE Operation Order No 64
Lieut. Col. H.G. Carscallen Comdg
INFORMATION 1. The 5th Division on the left of the 3rd Canadian Division will carry out an attack on the German line from T.2.c. to SOUCHEZ RIVER.
FIRST OBJECTIVE. Enemy’s trench from T.2.c.9.2. thence along the support line of THELUS-VIMY line to FOSSE 7 (T.1.b.1.5.)
SECOND OBJECTIVE. A line from houses in T.2.d.0.5. approximately parallel to the First Objective to Trench Junction in T.1.b.5.4. thence northerly along trench to houses in T.1.b.5.9., thence to road and embankment junction in N.31.c.9.8., thence to the SOUCHEZ RIVER, including Electric Generating Station.
The 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade will co-operate by advancing its left flank from T.5.a.5.3. to protect the right of the 5th Division at about T.2.d.0.5.
TASKS 2. In view of the above operation the following tasks will be carried out by the 4.5 Howitzer batteries of the GROUP.
- 36th Battery and 43rd Battery.
9.30 p.m. to 9.40 p.m. on the 22nd instant. AVION in N.32.c. – rate of fire normal. The 36th Battery will take the North one third of Square and the 43rd Bty the South two thirds.
(b) The 36th Battery and 43rd Battery will each fire 75 rounds into Group of houses T.2.b.2.0 before 2.00 p.m. on the 22nd instant.
(c) During assault the 36th and 43rd Batteries will engage houses on main LENS-ARRAS ROAD in T.2.b. and d. within safety limits of the assaulting infantry and will also engage the MERICOURT-AVION SWITCH and houses of AVION in N.33.c.
Details will be issued later.
- The batteries not engaged in the operation will carry out a feint attack which will take the form of a creeping barrage of all available 18-pdrs firing at normal rate. Further details of this barrage will be issued later.
NOTE: The artillery of 1st and 2nd Canadian Divisions will carry out a similar feint attack of their respective fronts.
- All the batteries may be called upon to fire on enemy trenches in T.2.b. and d. and T.3.c.
- Ammunition dump at gun positions to be increased to at least 400 rounds per gun and how. by night of 22nd/23rd
- Zero hour will probably be about dawn on the 23rd
- Watches will be synchronized with Group Headquarters.
Comdg CARSCALLEN’S GROUP
Issued at p.m.
Copy 2 to 32nd Battery, 4 to O.C. 39th Battery
3 to 33rd Battery, 5 to O.C. 45th Battery
6 to 36th Battery, 7 to O.C. 43rd Battery
8, 9, 10 WAR DIARY