NOTES ON CONFERENCE ON COMMUNICATIONS
- RIGHT GROUP. Main Battery “command lines” to run due North from Right Group Battalion Battle H.Q. (A.25.d.65) in 55th Brigade trench – branch off near Copse H in Artillery trench to be constructed to about A.26.a.43 – thence to A.26.b.3.5. – thence to Copse C.
Branch trenches to batteries.
Branch up to Copse B to be cut about 150 yds. S.W. from A/85.
O.P. Lines. (a) for A/85 and B/84 forward via Copse B to U Work, thence to O.P. along PERONNE Avenue. At same time to be laid back from Oxford Copse through U Work and Copse B back along “Battery command line trench” to Group H.Q. From Copse B forward these lines to be laid in communication trenches 2 feet underground. O.C. 18th Div Signal Coy. will arrange this with 30th Division.
(b) For C/84 and D/84 up to No 1 trench to PERONNE AVENUE.
(c) For A/84 up SHEFFIELD AVENUE.
Lines forward from O.P.s
At least two pairs up (a) No 1 trench & COKE AVENUE to Bn. H.Q.
two pairs up (b) SHEFFIELD & MERCHISTON AV. To Bn. H.Q.
O.C. Signal Coy will raise question of metallic circuits from O.Ps onwards. Advantage of single line —-Cable saved.
Advantage of double lines—–Eight lines ready laid to carry on into German trenches.
30th Division to lay line from Copse B in Battery command trench as lateral line from their Left Group to our Right Group.
- CENTRE GROUP. Lines from Group H.Q. to batteries in trench round front edge of BILLON WOOD – under construction at present. Complete circuit of BILLON WOOD to be made.
Lines to O.P.
- A/83, C/83, and D/83 up SHEFFIELD AVENUE to PERRONE AVE.
- D/83 and Reserve Howitzer Battery up No 4 Trench (or special cable trench to be made for 53rd Brigade).
- B/83 – with Left Group lines.
With regard to (a), SHEFFIELD AVENUE belongs to 55th Bde. but O.C. Signal Coy to arrange for this.
Lines from O.P. forward.
(a) 3 pairs of lines up SHEFFIELD AVENUE & BERWICK AVENUE to Battn H.Q…
(b) 2 pairs of lines up No 4 trench and MONTAUBAN Avenue to Battn H.Q.
(c) Pair of lines for B/83 with Left Group lines.
Lines to”Mystery” Trench (F.17.c).
5 lines from BILLON WOOD in lateral trench from Centre Group to Left Group H.Q., and thence via CONTOUR WOOD &DURHAM Trench.
- LEFT GROUP. As at present. NORFOLK AVENUE probably available in addition.
- LAMPS – DAYLIGHT SIGNALLING
5 for Division – to be given to Battn H.Q. for use with aeroplanes only. Rather cumbersome for trench work and wasted. For signalling back to O.P. suggested.
- ISSUE OF ”SIGNALLING SHUTTERS “18” x 12”
Already issued to Infantry Brigades.
O.C. Signal Coy will enquire about their issue to Artillery.
Suggested scale – 2 per battery & Bde H.Q.
O.C. Signal Coy will send one to H.Q.R.A. for inspection.
- Central Visual Signalling Station for Division will be established near O.P. locality on PERONE ROAD West of U Work.
- Where cables are put in communication trenches, they will be buried 2 feet deep.