Reference Map Sheet
28 N.W. 1/20000 &
55th DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY OPERATION ORDER No. 53.
1. The 55th Divisional Artillery will relieve the 36th Divisional Artillery in the line on August 22nd and 23rd, relief to be completed by 6 a.m. on the 24th inst.
2. One Section per battery will relieve on the 22nd and the remaining two sections on the 23rd August.
Relief will be carried out by daylight, to be complete by 9 p.m. on the 22nd and 4 p.m. on the 23rd inst.
3. 276 Bde R.F.A. will relieve 153 Bde R.F.A. and 275 Bde R.F.A. will relieve 173 Bde. R.F.A.
On completion of relief, Brigades and 55th Divl Ammunition Column will come under the orders of the B.G.R.A. 61st Divisional Artillery for tactical purposes.
4. All ammunition on charge at gun positions and vicinity will be taken over by relieving units, and ammunition transferred and brought in will be wired to Staff Captain R.A. 61st Divisional Artillery by noon on the 23rd inst.
5. Ammunition supply will pass from 36th Divisional Ammn Column to 55th Divisional Ammn Column at 12 noon on the 23rd inst. O.C. 55th Div Ammn Column will detail one officer to report to Staff Captain R.A. 61st Divl Artillery on 22nd inst to take over details of ammunition supply.
6. Guns will be exchanged stripped except for dials sights, sight clinometers and aiming posts, under arrangements to be made between Officers Commanding concerned.
Where guns with recuperators are taken over, pumps will also be taken over.
7. Brigades, Divisional Ammn Column and Trench Mortars will move to new Wagon Lines in accordance with attached March Table “A”.
8. All area stores at gun positions and wagon lines including tarpaulins, water-carriers, petrol tins, packsaddles, camouflage, and Yukon Packs will be taken over by units of the 55th Divisional Artillery.
9. Parties will proceed to take over all tents, shelters, and area stores from wagon lines of 153rd and 173rd Brigades R.F.A. on the 23rd inst. Wagon Lines of 173 Bde R.F.A. at H.10.d.2.2., and wagon lines of 153rd Bde R.F.A. at H.9.d.9.6.
These stores etc will then be moved to wagon lines given in Table “A”.
10. All tents, shelters, pumps, troughs, and other area stores on charge in the WINNEZEELE Area will be returned before leaving to store at the following locations:-
Pumps. Troughs Tents To caretakers at
R.A. H.Q. – – 8 K.13.d.9.3.
275 Bde R.F.A. 2 15 33 K.14.b.9.9.
276 Bde R.F.A. 2 15 33 K.13.d.9.3.
D.A.C. 2 16 33 K.2.c.1.6.
Div Train – – 7 K.14.b.9.9.
Commandant WINNEZEELE Area will arrange to have two P.B. men at each of the above locations on the morning of the 22nd inst. O.C. 275 Bde R.F.A. will detail an N.C.O. to be in charge of the six caretakers, and he will remain behind with them until relieved by the 36th Divisional Artillery. They will report to the Commandant WINNEZEELE Artillery Area on the morning of the 22nd inst with two days rations after all stores have been handed in by units.
11. O.C. 55th Divl Ammunition Column will detail 5 G.S. Wagons together with teams and drivers to report to each F.A. Brigade on the 21st inst. These wagons will return to the 55th Divl Ammn Column on the morning of the 23rd inst.
12. On 22nd inst, Supply Refilling Point will be as usual. On 23rd inst, O.C. 95th Coy A.S.C. will make arrangements to deliver supplies to billets by lorries. On 24th inst O.C. 95th Coy A.S.C. will arrange to recommence delivery by horse transport and will inform all units hour and place of refilling on that date.
13. On the evening of the 24th, inst supply lorries will return to the 34th Divl Supply Column.
14. 55th Divisional Trench Mortar personnel will move with and remain attached to 55th Divl Ammn Column for accommodation, rations and discipline.
15. Completion of relief will be wired to this office and 61st Divisional Artillery by the word “RIGHT”.
16. Baggage wagons will report to units on the evening of the 21st inst.
17. All applications for R.E. material and camouflage should be made to 61st Divisional Artillery.
18. On the 23rd inst, units will come under D.A.D.O.S. 61st Division for Ordnance Stores.
Staff Captain, 55th Divl Artillery.
20th August 1917.
Copies to :-
No 1. XIX Corps R.A. 9. 275 Bde R.F.A. 17. S.S.O. 55th Div.
2 2. 55th Div “G” 10. 276 Bde R.F.A. 18. 95 Coy A.S.C.
3. 55th Div “Q” 11. 153 Bde R.F.A. 19. 55th Div Signals
4. 36th Div “G” 12. 173 Bde R.F.A. 20. D.A.D.O.S. 55th Div
5. 36th Div “Q” 13. 55th D.A.C. 21. D.A.D.O.S. 36th Div
6. 36th Div Arty. 14. 36th D.A.C. 22. D.A.D.O.S. 61st Div
7. 61st Div “Q”. 15. D.T.M.O. 55th Div 23. A.D.V.S. 55th Div
8. 61st Div Arty 16. A.P.M. 55th Div. 24. A.D.M.S. 55th Div
25. Senior Chaplain C of E.
26.Senior Chaplain Non C of E.
27. Area Commander BRANDHOEK AREA.
28. “ “ WINNEZEELE ARTILLERY Area.
29. Staff Captain R.A.
30 & 31 War Diary.
32. XIX Corps G.