SOME OF THE MANY QUESTIONS A PLATOON
COMMANDER SHOULD ASK HIMSELF ON
TAKING OVER A TRENCH, AND AT FREQUENT
1. I AM HERE FOR TWO PURPOSES: TO HOLD THIS LINE UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, AND TO DO AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE TO THE ENEMY. AM I DOING ALL I CAN TO MAKE THIS LINE AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE? AM I AS OFFENSIVE AS I MIGHT BE WITH ORGANIZED SNIPERS, SNIPERSCOPES, RIFLE GRENADES, CATAPAULTS, ETC., AND PATROLS.
2. Do I connect up all right with the platoons on my right and left? Do I know the position of my nearest support?
3. Does every man know his firing position and can he fire from it, over the parapet, at the foot of the wire?
4. Where are my S.A.A. and bomb stores? Are they under cover from the weather?
5. Do all my men know their duties in case of attack – bombers especially?
6. Are all my rifles and ammunition clean and in good order? Have all the men got rifle covers? Are the magazines kept charged?
7. Is my wire strong enough?
8. Are my parapets and traverses bullet proof everywhere?
9. Where are my sally ports?
10. Where are my listening posts? Are my listening patrols properly detailed?
11. What points in front particularly require patrolling at night?
12. Are my sentries in their right places? Are they properly posted by N.C.Os.? Have they received proper instructions?
13. Have I got the S.O.S. message in my pocket, and do I know the orders regarding its use?
14. Are the trenches as clean and as sanitary as they might be? Are live rounds and cases properly collected? Are my bags for refuse and empties in position?
15. Are my trenches as dry as I might make them?
16. Am I doing all I can to prevent my men getting “Trench Feet”?
17. How can I prevent my parapets and dug-outs from falling in?
18. Have I got at least one loophole, from which men can snipe, for every section? Have I pointed out to Section Commanders the portion of the enemy’s trench they are responsible for keeping under fire, and where his loopholes are?
19. Have my men always got their smoker helmets on them, and are in good order?
20. Are there arrangements, in case of gas attack, complete and known to all ranks?
21. Are the orders as to wearing equipment carried out?
22. Are my men using wood from the defences as firewood?
23. Are my men drinking water from any but authorised sources?
24. I AM HERE FOR TWO PURPOSES: TO HOLD THIS LINE UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, AND TO DO AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE TO THE ENEMY. AM I DOING ALL I CAN TO MAKE THIS LINE AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE? AM I AS OFFENSIVE AS I MIGHT BE WITH ORGANIZED SNIPERS, SNIPERSCOPES, RIFLE GRENADES, CATAPAULTS, ETC., AND PATROLS.
(n 6611) Wt. w 1650-6792 40M H & S P. 15/811