Certified True Copy. Operation Orders by Lt. Col. R.H. WAITMAN.
- The Bn will be relieved in the line by the 9th K.O.Y.L.I. tonight 16th June.
- On relief Bn will take over the position of “C” Bn. (Area T.9.d. & T.10c.) & 1 Coy in HIND TRENCH.
- A Coy will be the Coy in HIND TRENCH & will change places with A Coy 9 K.O.Y.L.I. before 10.30 p.m.
- Coys will relieve & march as follows. C relieving C. D relieves D & B – B.
- 1 Guide per platoon to be at junction of FIT LANE & HIND TRENCH at 11 p.m. & report to Cpl Goldthorpe.
- All trench stores etc will be handed over to advance parties & receipts forwarded to Bn H.Q.
- O.C. Coys will render by 8 p.m. tomorrow of work done & work proposed.
- Coy C.Q.M. Sergts of H.Q., B, C, & D Coys will take over C Bn
- 1 Guide per Coy will report to 2Lt. S*** at Bn H.Q. at 4.30 p.m. tomorrow, to new position & return.
- LEWIS GUNNERS will carry out their guns.
Sgd A.H.E. Lt Adjt
Orders for night 16/17 June 1917
- Operation Orders Herewith
- All trenches & posts to be left clean & latrines emptied.
- Trench Stores will be handed over as for two Coys. there will be one *** dump only S. of RIVER ROAD.
- Posts will be improved as previously returned by O.C. Coy up to 11.30 p.m.
- At 11.30 p.m. all posts will stand to until relieved.
- Lt Briggs will report to me when C Coy is relieved sending “Whiskey” over phone.
- Coys will be shown to new positions by the guides & Platoons will march at 2 minute intervals from Flag T.5.a.8.1.
- In the event of Heavy Shelling Platoon ** will be responsible for proceeding independently to new area.
- Guides for incoming unit to report to C.S.M. Raggett at Coy H.Q. 9.45 p.m.
- 2 Lt Crane will relieve 2 Lt Dean in YORK Trench at 10 p.m.
- 2 Lt Stephenson will hand over post occupied by 13 Platoon & see that York Post is relieved quickly. 2.50 p.m.
O.C. D Coy
1 Copy to 2Lt Briggs
WORK REPORT in accordance with Op Or 15.6.17.
(A). WIRE A second band of wire has been started from SENSEE RIVER N to RIVER ROAD.
About 2/3 of this distance has now a good fence about 80x in front of *** positions. Altogether about 60 coils have been put out & stakes accordingly.
All the wire put out is about 50x in front wire existing when we took over.
Wire should be continued & joined up with existing wire about 100x E of Junction SHAFT TRENCH & RIVER ROAD & then thickened N’wards to YORK TRENCH.
(B) Construction & Improvements of Posts.
|No of Post||WORK DONE||SUGGESTIONS for work|
|1.||Clearing Debris in trench||Suggest proper bombing Post with T trench facing S & wire ready to pull in trench.|
|2 & 3.||FIRE BAY should be constructed from 2 to 3 connecting these 2 posts at edge of debris on parapet|
|4.||Entrance deepened.||None Urgent. Entrance to sap should be sandbagged on S side.|
|6.||Trench leading to post deepened.||Should be sandbagged on S side.|
|7.||do||Do & FIRE Bay in new position to be constructed with FIRE STEP.|
|8.||New Post completely dugout with FIRE Bays (2)||Sandbagging & FIRE Positions to be constructed.|
|9.||Not Urgent.||Requires sandbagging in SHAFT TRENCH RE’s have this in hand.|
|10.||Entrance to new SAP deepened.||FIRE Step required in new Position.|
|11.||LEWIS GUN post dugout & entrance to position remade after being hit by shell.||Require still further deepening & strengthening as this post is a good one but liable to Shell Fire.|
|YORK TRENCH.||Post 400x down trench has been considerably deepened & improved.||Nil Will depend on situation|
Generally. It was arranged with O.C. 126 Field Coy that we should dig out the new positions & that he would make & revet the fire steps etc.
O.C. D Coy